Sunday, January 9, 2022

Take a Tour of the Stadium: It's Yours



Photo: Protective Stadium at University of Alabama-Birmingham. At $175 million, the new stadium helped UAB to a 9-4 mark and an upset, 31-28, victory over #13 Brigham Young University, in the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl. Photo: CC BY-SA 4.0



Today’s lesson is about athletics debt. I read a very good article from an individual worried about debt at our colleges, and I wanted to share my thoughts as well.  I write this as a HUGE college football fanatic.


I’ve spent much of the last decade of my life raising the red flags about the spending on athletics needlessly, warning to anyone who would listen about debt at our institutions of higher learning, specifically debt dedicated to the wonderful spectacle of sports. 


Much of my work can be seen at the Knight Commission’s College Athletics Financial Information (CAFI) database. Kudos to Dr. Michael LeRoy, a law professor at the University of Illinois, whose bailiwick is labor and employment relations, who used this database to help to shed a light on the problem with athletics debt. You can read his very good article here. Let us break debt down a bit into its tiny pieces to understand it.

Read more here:  
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/take-tour-stadium-its-yours-scott-hirko-ph-d-/

No comments:

Post a Comment